Updates!

Welcome to The Romantic Scholar, a book review blog. Thanks for stopping by and I hope that you enjoy your stay.

After an eight month long hiatus, I am back. And I could not be more excited about it.



***My comments are located at the top of my posts***

Friday, May 29, 2009


My Overall Rating:
4.5/5


Age Rating:
This Book is age appropriate for 8th graders and up due to themes that deal with some sexual and dark references.


Cover Art: Of course I love the cover. You find out in the beginning of the story that Gwen sleptwalk when she was younger. The stance of the girl on the cover kind of gives off the vibe that she's not just staring out into the oceanic horizon, but in a trance with the way that her arms hang straight at her sides with her dress skirt flowing back. I feel that it gives off the eerie sensation of being in a trance such as sleepwalking. It's a mystical cover that I believe makes the book even more inviting.


Summary:

BECKON THE SEA,
I'LL COME TO THEE....
SHED SEVEN TEARS,
PERCHANCE SEVEN YEARS....

At the age of ten, Gwen Cook had a strange encounter with a boy with dark, slightly tilted eyes. He came to her on the beach, whispered strange words in her ear, and then disappeared. Shortly thereafter, her family moved away from their seaside home and Gwen never saw the boy again.

Now seventeen, Gwen is returning to her childhood home. Her Nana asked her to come. But Gwen knows it's time to go back for another reason: She yearns for the sea. Perhaps the sea itself is calling to her. Perhaps the memory of the boy and his haunting words are drawing her back to the place they met. Perhaps it's time for her to face her destiny.


My Review:
This book was a total page turner, and is very hard to put down. It has the perfect combination of mystery, fantasy, and romance. The descriptive writing that Farley uses takes you away to the beautiful beach of Mirage Point actually giving you the feeling that you are standing at the cove experiencing the cool misty breeze off the ocean. Farley does an excellent job with her character development and it is very easy to experience the emotions that Gwen is feeling. And when Jesse comes into the picture there is an underlying connection to him as well from the background given by Gwen's experience with him. By the end of the book, I felt like I really knew each of the characters, even the few minor characters introduced in the beginning.

Through the story, we follow Gwen on her summer vacation after her seventeenth birthday. She is staying at Cooks Cottage, her childhood home helping her Nana run her Inn next door. Gwen's homecoming to Cooks Cottage had her unsettled after a traumatic event seven years before. Throughout the summer we see how Gwen comes to terms with dealing with her past and also coming to accept her destiny. The search for answers to her questions from her childhood mystery is a quest that many can relate to while searching for answers to their own life questions. As Gwen comes to terms with her past and destiny, we experience the rush of her becoming independent and becoming her own person. 

While the storyline and character development is solid and captivating, the ending left me somewhat disappointed. Even though it is a satisfying ending, there is too much of a possibility that there could be a sequel following the story of Gwen after coming to terms with her past and destiny. And Terri has made it fairly clear that there will not be a sequel, even though she is not giving a definite answer. All in all, this book is a great read for either a quiet weekend on the beach or a summer night getaway to a paradise of fantast, mystery, and romance. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a mystical escape from reality and to anyone who loves reading a story with an aspect of mystery, fantasy, and a little romance. As well as the occasional glimmer of suspense. Or if you have a fancy for a good selkie story. And this book is most definitely re-readible considering that this is the third time I've read it :P



6 comments:

Eli said...

Love the review. I might just have to read this book. Congrats on your first review!! <3

Ali said...

Thank you! :) <3

Anonymous said...

This is also one of my favorite books. I read it for the first time a few years ago and still reread it quite often.

I hope Terri comes out with another non-horse related book soon. (though I do love her horse series)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Fantastic review. I hope you don't mind but I linked back to this review in my review. It's a feature I call "Pass the mic.
http://www.talesofwhimsy.com/2009/09/seven-tears-into-sea-book-review.html

Terri Farley said...

Thanks so much for the lovely review and super comments !
You made me happy tonight!
Terri

Ali said...

Thank you Terri, I'm honored that you came across my blog! I absolutely loved this book. It is one of my all time favorites.

Ali

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...