Updates!

Welcome to The Romantic Scholar, a book review blog. Thanks for stopping by and I hope that you enjoy your stay.

After an eight month long hiatus, I am back. And I could not be more excited about it.



***My comments are located at the top of my posts***

Tuesday, November 3, 2009



My Overall Rating:
5/5
Age Recommendation:
I would recommend an age of 16 for this book. There are sexual themes and underage alcohol references and usage.
Cover Art:
I just love the cover for this book. It is so so so pretty and it completely ties in with the story. It is the main character and her mystery man. I like the intimate pose that they have in the cover, I think it really adds to the relationship that the two have.

Summary:
After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, 16-year-old Miranda Merchant is happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island. There, Miranda finds a place with a mysterious, mystical history, and Leo, who challenges everything she thinks she knows about boys--and reality.
My Review:
First off, this book was absolutely AMAZING. I loved it. It is by far one of my most favorite books ever. It is such a sweet tale of romance and finding yourself. This is Aimee's first time writing in the fantasy genre, and for a first timer, well, I certainly couldn't tell. Her writing style is so solid, it seems as though she has been writing in this style all along.

You follow Miranda, a young teen, on a summer trip to an island vacation home. There she finds out about herself. Who she really is, and what in life really is important to her. She had been hurt, but the island had changed everything. She finds friendship, a new relationship with her mom, and the love of a very special person.

You really get to know Miranda, and it doesn't take the whole book. You learn so much about her. It's almost as if you are her. You feel the pain of her past and present. And the yearning to understanding the mystery guy who may be the only one who can help her find herself.


This book is a must read for any girl. The story of finding yourself and love is a story that any young girl (age 0-100 of course!) can relate to. Yes this book is written for YA, but it has no limits. This would also be a great read for a book club, especially a mother daughter book club. I was greatly impressed with this book and have fallen completely in love with it, and I have a feeling that many readers will feel the same way.

This book was so well written and it leaves off in a way that the story can be finished or that there might be a sequel. This is most definitely a book that I will read again and again, and I recommend it to everyone. It is such a fulfilling story that can warm anyone's heart. And I am so lucky to have gotten my copy signed at the Decatur Book Festival!


2 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I loved this book! Great review :)

Eli said...

I can't wait to read this! Ever since I met Aimee, I've really wanted to!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...