Updates!

Welcome to The Romantic Scholar, a book review blog. Thanks for stopping by and I hope that you enjoy your stay.

After an eight month long hiatus, I am back. And I could not be more excited about it.



***My comments are located at the top of my posts***

Friday, March 11, 2011


My Overall Rating:
4.25/5

Age Recommendation:
I think I would give this a rec. of about 14. You're dealing with a bit more violence in this one, and there are references to sex. Again, nothing graphic sexually, but there is some graphic violence.

Cover Art:
PERFECT. That is all I have to say about it. I absolutely love it. And when you read it, you will too. I'm sure of it.

Re-read and Recommend?:
Definitely. To both. If you've read Need, you have to read Captivate. It doesn't start out slow the way Need did, it's a much quicker opening. Now, if you haven't read Need, go do so. So that you can feel the "need" to be "captivated as well. Lame, I know. But it is just so tempting to do with these titles!!

Summary:
Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods one day, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure-despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life-and his.

My Thoughts:
First off, I just want to say that I am beyond happy that I have Entice and I do not have to wait for it to come out so that I can continue reading this amazing story. Captivate left off in such a way that I would be absolutely enraged if I couldn't read Entice immediately after. It is the height of the story and Carrie keeps you holding on until the end. I absolutely love being kept on the edge of my seat waiting for a resolution. And for that to not happen at the end of Captivate both angers me and excites me. It leaves me waiting, anxiously, for what I am expecting to be a fantastic resolution of the action continuing in Entice.

Now, for the rest of the book. I loved
Need. And I was impressed. But I was so much more impressed by Captivate. The characters are more developed. You meet some new ones. And relationships are intensifying. The plot is thickening. Danger is looming. And surprises are thrown. Nothing was as predictable in this book, and one of my favorite things...much more skepticism. Everyone was much more cautious in believing things at the first glance. Research is much more involved in this one as well. And that was important for me.

Captivate
included a lot of new ideas that Need did not. To be more specific, it pulled from ancient mythologies dealing with more than just the fey and were. This book had so much put in it and Carrie Jones did an amazing job of keeping everything clear. Anything new put before you was explained, and when it took time to be explained, you weren't the only one experiencing the frustration. Once again, Carrie made it so that as the reader, you experience the emotions felt by the characters.

And so much emotion was experienced in this book. Confusion, pain, and pure joy were all mixed together in this wonderfully written sequel. The plot is a whole mess of lies and secrets between friends and families, as well as tragic events and heroic actions. And as the characters feel the pain of confusion and worry, so do you. You really do become "captivated". Sorry, I had to use it. The title is absolutely perfect. It is the books purpose. It is extremely captivating. And if it weren't for the "need" of eating, it would have been completed in one sitting. Sorry, I had to do it again. The titles are just fun.

I cannot wait to finish and review
Entice and of course the fourth book which will be released in 2012!

Captivate
by Carrie Jones
Pages: 288

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Released: January 5, 2010


Summary from Carrie Jones' Official site
Book purchased from store

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...